The initial months of breastfeeding are best handled when you have all essential baby and mommy care products including the best breast pads. While feeding, pumping, diaper change, and putting your baby to sleep, dealing with your sore nipples can be a very exhausting and painful task.
The recurrent leaks and having to change your clothes over and over again can be extremely frustrating. And the worst part is leaking while being in public!
Why You Need Nursing Pads?
Even if you have the best pumping bras and breast pumps, a breast pad is essential to save yourself from sore nipples and wet clothes.
Also, remember that the wet fabric against your skin can lead to several bacterial infections. By keeping nursing pads or breast pads under your bra, you will remain fresh and hygienic throughout the day and night.
There are so many different types of breast pads for every particular need. Some of them are-
- Disposable nursing pads
- Reusable or Washable nursing pads
- Versatile nursing pads
- Fully covered nursing pads
- Overnight nursing pads
- Nursing pads for sensitive nipples
- Eco-friendly nursing pads
- Nursing pads for swimming
These breast pads come in a variety of shapes, sizes, fabrics, and also prices. So you are less likely to run out of nursing pads to buy that best fit your need. Washable pads and disposable pads are found to be the most commonly used nursing pads.
Washable pads as you can understand from the name can be used for a longer period. They are also very eco-friendly and more affordable.
In the case of disposable pads, they are most suitable while traveling. They usually come wrapped up which helps to maintain their cleanliness.
New mothers mostly tend to go for disposable pads as it requires less effort and time. But in the long run, washable breast pads are much better.
What To Look For In A Nursing Pad?
Keep in mind the following factors to help you decide better while buying breast pads-
- Certain disposable pads have a sticky coating that enables their stable position inside the nursing bra. But this may not be suitable for sensitive skin types. Always check the material and texture of the pad before purchase to avoid any unexpected allergies.
- You must have noticed that the majority of the breast pads are in black or skin color. This is because these colors very much help to cover the breasts, especially in cases of wearing thinner bras. So make sure to not go for bright colors or patterns.
- Most brands sell breast pads of all sizes so you needn’t worry about not finding the perfect size.
- While buying for washable pads, ensure that it is lightweight so that it can air-dry quickly. Follow the washing instructions as directed as some reusable pads are too soft and can lose their quality after frequent washes.
Now I would like to list down some of the best breast pads in the market and let you make the choice!
Kindred Bravely’s Organyc Washable Breast Pads
They are made from the best and softest bamboo and therefore have strong absorption capabilities. Their outer layer is made using water-resistant fabric helping you pump without any leaks and also keeps your nipples dry. If you are searching for the most comfortable breast pads, I would say this is it.
Kindred Bravely’s breast pads are designed to fit perfectly and discreetly into your nursing bras. It is machine washable and dries quickly. The waterproof coating protects your clothes from milk leaks. There are 4 pairs in total so you have sufficient pads to use for multi-purpose.
The product also comes with a wet bag, eliminating the need to have separate bags to rid your used breast pads.
- 100% waterproof and prevents leaks and spills.
- Made using the softest bamboo and is more absorbent and durable than cotton.
- Prevents sore nipples and nurses the skin.
- Can be washed and dried easily.
- Waterproof backing protects nursing bra and clothes from leaks.
- Shaped in such a way that it smoothly and comfortably sits in your nursing bra and covers the breasts.
- Not suitable to be used in the initial months of breastfeeding.
Medela Nursing Pads Disposable Breast Pad
It is said to be the no. 1 doctor-recommended nursing pad in the United States. Medela disposable pads are quite popular as it lasts for several hours before replacing. They are made using ultra-absorbent materials and provide complete protection from leakage, whether it is day or night.
Madela nursing pads, one of the best breast pads have a soft layer that keeps the pad dry and protects the sensitive skin of the breasts. It has a double adhesive coating that allows the pads to stay in place. Each of them is packed in separate boxes helping in portability and cleanliness.
- The double adhesive tape keeps the pads firm in the nursing pads.
- Provides 24×7 protection from leaks.
- Made of top quality and is highly recommended by physicians.
- Discreet increases the confidence of mothers in breastfeeding.
- Soft texture keeps the breast moisture-free and soothes the skin.
- Can sometimes make your nipples itchy.
- Thicker in size and therefore may feel heavier after absorption.
Philips AVENT Maximum Comfort Disposable Breast Pads
These pads are designed in such a way that it allows easy breathing to your skin. It absorbs maximum wetness through the one-way top sheet and keeps your nipples and clothes dry. Also, the sheet is quite silky due to the honeycomb texture and enables mothers to express milk without any irritation.
No matter what size, shape, or type of bra you are using, Philips Avent disposable breast pads sit comfortably within preventing the need to adjust the bra frequently. The pad’s two adhesive strips help you to move freely without them falling out of place. Each pad has several layers and locks in moisture.
- Suitable for both regular bras and nursing bras.
- Silky texture prevents skin irritation.
- Promotes free body movement by keeping the pads firmly in place.
- Protects the nipples from being sore throughout the day.
- May itch if not replaced soon after complete absorption causing discomfort.
- Not suitable for small breasts with heavy letdown.
Organyc 100% Certified Organic Cotton Nursing Pads
Made of the best and purest organic cotton, these nursing pads can be referred to as one of the most eco-friendly and sustainable breast pads.
They are manufactured using only natural materials and therefore you are safe from any skin allergies. Organyc breast pads make the perfect gift for nature-loving mothers.
- Easy to use and decomposes naturally.
- Made of top-quality cotton and is highly absorbent.
- 100% natural product and is safe for the skin.
- Gentle and breathable.
- They are quite bulky.
- Not suitable for moms with heavy leaking.
Curve by Cache Coeur Reusable Nursing Pads
No matter how many times you wash these pads, their quality remains the same by securing you from leaks day and night. They protect you from leaks for as long as 9 hours.
Made using the top antibacterial materials, Curve washable nursing pads keep you fresh and wet-free. Their design is quite sleek and is available in any size. Their shape is more like a bra cup and therefore perfectly covers the breasts, even if you are using deep-cut bras.
- Strong waterproof barrier.
- Prevents nipple cracks and soreness.
- Keeps you fresh and dry for up to 9 hours.
- Sleek design provides a natural breast shape.
- Ultra-soft and odor-free.
- Dries quickly after wash.
- No disadvantages identified yet
NUK Ultra Thin Disposable Nursing Pads
Considered as one of the best breast pads as they are bulky due to the double layers of protection, they are utterly discreet. The protective outer layer avoids leaks and stains.
They do not have adhesive backing but at the same time do not move from their fixed position. It is mostly recommended for light leaks or stable milk production. The special MilkLock feature traps leaks and facilitates better breathing for the breasts.
- Ideal for daily use.
- Thin and allows easy handling.
- Dual-layer protection against leaks and stains.
- Cannot be used for heavy leaks.
- Can crinkle around the edges and irritate if not placed correctly
Ameda ComfortGel Soothing Breastfeeding Pads
Popularly known among mothers and healthcare professionals, Ameda breast pads offer the best comfort due to their attractive features. They prevent cloth friction on the sore nipples and make you comfy. Most hospitals go for this brand as these cooler pads provide moist healing at a faster rate.
The best part is that these pads can be reused for a full 6 days without any discomfort. Your breasts and nipples are soothed thoroughly and the nipple cracks are healed.
- Commonly used in professional care.
- Provides a cooling effect to the nipples.
- Takes care of sensitive skin.
- Prevents clothes from being rubbed on the nipples.
- Reusable for 6 days.
- May have a chemical smell.
Dr. Brown’s Washable Breast Pads
If you are a mom with a busy lifestyle and need effective best pads that don’t require much effort, Dr.Brown’s washable breast pads may be the right option for you. They dry off pretty quickly and have 4 layers of ultra-soft cotton fabric to keep your nipples wet-free.
- Easy to handle and maintain.
- Comfortable to wear.
- Ensures maximum absorption against leaks.
- The bulky fabric may not be likable by everyone.
BRAVADO!DESIGNS Women’s Washable and Reusable Nursing Breast Pads
The design and color of these breast pads are simply elegant. Created using a blend of cotton and polyester, these breast pads are of the perfect thickness for maximum absorption at the same time do not appear bulky. They come with a small mesh layer that blocks moisture and odor. This is one of the best breast pads.
The double-layer cotton-modal core keeps you dry and allows you flexible movement without fear of leaks.
Lansinoh Reusable Nursing Pads
You must have already come across this brand a lot of times while looking for baby products. Lansinoh reusable breast pads are highly suitable for sensitive skin. Each pad is made using the best natural plant fibers and as a result, absorbs moisture to its maximum.
The absorption core consists of bamboo rayon for quick drying. It has the unique shape of a teardrop and therefore molds well to the breasts. The product comes with an additional mesh wash bag.
- Dries faster than any other nursing pads.
- Fits discreetly into the nursing bras, making them less noticeable.
- Prevents leaks throughout day and night.
- Prevents the need to frequently change breast pads.
- Not much breathable.
- Thin and may keep moving from the position.
Hey Mama Disposable Nursing Pads
This one is a great choice for low-cost breast pads. Don’t worry about their quality as the company offers a 7 Day Money Back Guarantee and a 100 % Satisfaction Guarantee. Their ultra-soft design makes it easy to wear and their special adhesive coating maintains the pad in position until you finally replace it.
They are thicker in size and acts as the perfect barrier for spots, leaks, and soaks. Each of the pads is individually wrapped which helps you to carry and dispose of without any hassles. Hey Mama disposable breast pads are also one of the most favorite nursing pads of new mothers.
- Offers 24×7 protection against even the slightest moisture.
- Highly affordable.
- Mostly suitable for the initial weeks/months of breastfeeding.
- 7-Day Money-Back Guarantee and 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
- Comfortable and discreet wearing.
- The adhesive doesn’t unstick and keeps the pad stays strongly in place.
- There are no cons identified yet
Tips for using nursing pads
Even if you are using the best breast pads in the market, without following the right procedure, you invite unnecessary infection and soreness all over again. To prevent this, check out some of the key points you need to ensure while using breast pads-
- The first and most important factor is the position of your nursing pad. The breast pad should be secured inside the bra cup such that it is perfectly placed between the breast and the bra. This would help reduce soreness as the pad is exactly over your nipples. Check during regular intervals whether the breast pad is positioned properly.
- Replace the nursing pad as soon as it becomes fully wet. Although most breast pads assure to be 100% waterproof, it is not a healthy practice to use a single pad for 24 hours. This is one of the major causes of infection and bacterial growth.
- Apply nipple cream or essential oils if the nipples are dry or sore. It is important to have your nipples dry before placing breast pads. Confirm whether you are non-allergic to the product ingredients as you may not want to worsen the situation.
Nursing pads make breastfeeding a lot more fun with their unique designs and shapes. So instead of changing clothes every time you leak and creating your own risk of infections, it would be better to go for quality and best breast pads as they offer you lasting protection and comfort.